Thursday, June 2, 2011

DAY 4

Woke up to find Jesse gone. I was worried so I went looking for him and found him at the creek setting traps. When I asked what he was doing, he said he was catching beavers. I told him there are no Beavers in this area of the country, at least not that I knew of. He looked at me with surprise and stated, "That explains a whole lot then!" I'm not sure about him sometimes.

We did, however, catch something in one of our box traps. The stick had been knocked out from under it and the box has fallen, and we could hear scuffling around inside. I'm going to open it now to see what we caught so we can skin it and eat it. I will write about it later.

...

Dear Journal,

I'm not sure what happened. Everything is pretty much a blur. All I know is when we opened the box, a buzz saw with fur popped out. I thought possibly we had caught a rabbit, a raccoon or maybe even a possum. It turns out, however, we caught a badger instead. I also did not know there were badgers in this part of the country.

Never in my life have I seen the ferocity of such an animal. When it latched onto my hand, for the third or fourth time, it would not let go. I screamed like a woman, waving my arms around, the badger still attached to it.

Jesse decided to kill it while he had the chance and begin using a large tree branch to hit it in the head...

Once I regained consciousness, I saw Jesse was cooking acorns over the fire. We had some wild onions and a few berries we found on one of the small bushes beside the creek.

After Jesse had broke the tree branch over my head, the badger was satisfied apparently that enough and scurried off into the woods. Jesse said it gave him hope that maybe there were beavers in this area as well.

Chancey had caught a rabbit and shared with Petey, but would not share with us. Stupid dog needs more training.

No comments:

Post a Comment